Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The Chronicles Of Cookery Part II: The Brownies

Cookery
I have previously mentioned how my skills in the kitchen are lacking. I have also mentioned how in a Hispanic family that makes me a bit of a black sheep; a girl ought to be able to cook, it's practically a law of our culture. Today there was yet another incident in the kitchen and I have come away very much disenchanted with the culinary arts. Never mind the fact that I've been on lunch duty ever since my mother started her new job and been doing an okay job, never mind that neither of my older siblings have offered their services, forget the fact that I've gone a good bit of time without screwing anything up too badly, today I messed up the measurements while baking brownies and it is to be my eternal shame. I asked my sister to help me make them, but she opted to sit on the couch glued to her phone as if it were a life preserver and she were stranded at sea. When I told her she could lick the spoon once I put the brownies in the pan she came running like The Flash and then stopped to point out how runny the batter was (which it hadn't been when I left the kitchen to make the generous offer of a bowl full of leftover batter all for her) and then call our mother in to make a spectacle of my miscalculation. Of course she ignored the fact that I'd asked if she'd wanted to do it in the first place, I failed and that is something that is apparently enjoyable to revel in. My mother consoled me, told me they'd come out just like cake and that it wasn't that bad a failure... And then when my sister wouldn't stop ragging on me and I tried to fight back she informed me how she'd had a hard enough day at work and didn't need my drama. My drama! As if my sister weren't the one antagonizing me! Aren't older siblings supposed to be supportive? Or is that as fictional as Tadashi Hamada and the March sisters? The brownies are still in the oven, hopefully they turn out decent and don't taste like the humiliation I'm feeling right now. That's gonna be it for now, gang. Until next time. Much Love, Gabby   

No comments:

Post a Comment