Thursday, February 26, 2015

A Lackluster Read And The Silent Sanctuary

Much has happened since I wrote last, dear readers. Days have passed, a lackluster novel has been read, a trip to the library has been taken, and a frozen pizza has met with a terrible fate. We've got a lot to cover so let's start with the low point. Last week I was searching through the books at goodwill and stumbled across a middle grade novel I'd seen in the "you might also like" thing on Barnes and Nobel, the book was called The Flame of Olympus (I later learned that this is the first book in the Pegasus series), the price and the review from Rick Riordan on the front cover assured me I had very little to lose, and so I picked it up. I'm just gonna list some of my problems with this book, if you want a summary you shall have to look elsewhere.

1. I felt the author picked the wrong protagonist. Emily was a very lacking character and I much would have preferred Paeleon (or however you spell his name) who still wasn't the best character but at least had some personality.

2. Roman gods instead of Greek ones. Why? Why feel the need to do that?

3. The dialogue was weird. Everyone talked a bit...old fashioned? I dunno, when characters say things like "It is" instead of "It's" constantly it gets on my nerves. It was understandable for the Olympians but for the rest of the characters, most of which were supposed to be New Yorkers, just no.

4. It never actually said how old the main character was. Seriously it NEVER said! I just sort of assumed she was in the 10 to 12 rang.

5. Insta-friendship between Emily and this kid Joel who she'd never met. Honestly, he's the meanest kid in her class but then once he meets Pegasus he just magically becomes friendly?

6. We never learned where the bad guys came from or what they wanted. I mean, it's a series so I guess that could be explained in later books but...yeah..
 

I could go on, gang, I really could but I won't. Let's move on to better times, namely my trip to the library. Now when thinking about the library my brain tends to highlight the negative, how they never seem to have that one book I've been dying to read in, the judgmental glances I get when walking into the children's section to look for books, etc. But there are so many good things about the library, gang, and one of my favorite things is that it's so beautifully quiet. Allow me explain why this fact is such a standout: I have two modes, mode one is me being ridiculously loud and obnoxious and mode two tends to make people think I'm mute, generally I'm in mode two and it feels like the rest of the world is constantly in mode one, so a place where quiet is enforced is joyous. Another cool thing is that the librarian who helped me and my madre check out had all these Disney pins on the lanyard her badge was on. Of course being the special snowflake that I am I was too shy to tell her that I thought she was rocking those pins. I'm not even gonna get into the pizza story, guys. I will simply tell you that this one wasn't actually my fault and I seriously regret trying to eat it. That's it for now, gang. Until next time. Much Love, Gabby         

No comments:

Post a Comment